...name that antique!

I went to a couple antique stores this past week and found this gem. After wondering extensively as to what it was used for, I finally broke down and asked the shop owner (knowing they would probably tell me something so obvious!) but no. Not one person in the store could identify what this was used for. And truly, it could just be decorative. But I figured you all would probably be able to tell me, I am absolutely no expert in antiques! So, what is it? It has substantial weight to it, and is a little bigger than a CD... I loved it and had to have it, but now I just am so curious!

15 comments:

Maria said...

How interesting! Could it be a jewelry spot? You know what I mean? A place to hold your earrings and stuff. I wanted to call it a box but that wouldn't work!:) I will check back and see if anyone else knows!!!

paula said...

I wish I knew, but it is stunning.

Anna Liesemeyer said...

Antique shopping is so fun! Find lots of pieces for my shop there~

Morgan said...

It's beautiful! I have no clue what it is but I would use it to hold rings and earrings. :)

VogueOntheRange said...

Oyster dish? It's gorgeous!

Maria said...

Padgett-Could you ask the Antique's Roadshow? I bet someone on that show would know!!!

Flick, said...

Sorry, I'm not going to be any help! But it is lovely and I can see why you could'nt leave it there!
:)

My Owl Barn said...

This is gorgeous! I wish I knew.

Thea said...

Very unique. But no idea what it would be used for? Sorry!

FEDERICA said...

How beautiful!
Federica

Jenni said...

That is beautiful! Maybe it's something that follows the old "He loves me, he loves me not" game. Seriously lovely! I hope you got it! PS_Cute blog!

ms Givens said...

Salt dish?

Rebecca said...

Did you ever find out what it was? I seriously tried to google it for you but got NOTHING!

carlee said...

That is steal. I don't know what it's used for, but I do love it.

*Chic Provence* said...

a little candy dish, like for M&M's?? it's very charming, congratulations on finding it

K