Ragnar So Cal 2011 - Tibby's Trackstars!

Back in November, my cousin Maria posed a challenge to the entire Simmons family (my mom's side of the family): run a Ragnar race. Her husband Kent works for Ragnar, so we were able to score a free entry. 12 of us accepted - all family members, and tomorrow - the adventure begins! I am flying to Huntington Beach today to meet up with everyone, get our supplies in order & deck out our suburbans for the race. 
Ragnar has races all over the country year round, but we picked the So Cal for the great weather and beautiful scenery. There will be about 500 teams of 12 people each, so lots of participants. 

So, what does it entail? Well, 12 of us will be running 200 miles, day and night, relay-style, from Huntington Beach down to Coronado island. Each runner has three different 'legs' that we'll run till were done, the milage varies from 3 miles to almost 10 miles per runner per leg. Only one runner hits the road at a time. The rest of us are on support duty in our race vehicle. So, for instance, I will be running roughly around 12:30pm on Friday, 1:30am early Saturday morning and 1:00pm Saturday afternoon... we will be split into two different vans of 6 people each supporting whomever is running at the time. Apparently it is called "a slumber party without sleep, pillows or deodorant"... yum!
I can't wait to get there and spend some quality time with my family. We get to have a big ol' party at our house on Saturday afternoon complete with pool and hot tub soaks which I am sure we will all really need! Rest and relaxation will follow as I get to stay in San Diego for about a week, wee!
So - be thinking about us tomorrow - our team name is "Tibby's Trackstars" because my grandmothers name was Elizabeth, but we always called her Tibby. Her favorite flower was Lily of the Valley, hence our team logo! So, root us on!! I will be giving updates on twitter along the way (@padgetthoke) so tune in!
Also, its my brother Bland's birthday tomorrow - YAY. I get to be in the birthday boy's suburban during the race, spend all day with him which makes me oh so happy. Bland is one amazing, creative, kind and wonderful brother that I admire. I have bragged about him here and here before.
birthday boy stand up paddle boarding on the Snake River

I will give a full follow up once we finish! A huge thanks to Maria, my cousin, who has been the point person in charge of setting this entire adventure up - clearly couldn't do it without you! xo

8 comments:

Lillibet said...

Let the fun begin!

Resi Stiegler said...

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Brandi {not your average ordinary} said...

Have a great time, Padgett!! I can't wait to hear all about it.

jamie-lee said...

Good luck for Ragnar, sounds intense but like a lot of fun!

{lovely little things} said...

Ragnar is such a fun bonding experience! A bunch of my friends did the one North of Seattle last year. I was out of town but wished I'd been there, they still tell stories about their van sleepovers!

Julie Watkins said...

I've been thinking about you all day! It's hard to believe you are running day and night. Lots of love and be safe! Aunt Julie

W.C.Camp said...

I broke a sweat just reading about the run - very cool! W.C.C.

RAENOVATE said...

your family is seriously the coolest. i read your updates on twitter, WAY TO GO!