calf & chick

A few weeks ago, Sam and I stopped over at our good friend Chase's house... he manages his family ranch, and always has things going on. Let me preface this story with a quick cow knowledge that was taught to me. When a mama cow dies, much to my horror, the other mama cows do not take care of that little calf - he or she is left to fend for themselves - usually resulting in their death. 

So, a cow had passed away in the middle of calving season and Chase (as he has done in the past - see this post) bottle feeds the calf three times a day, everyday. I wanted to meet this little calf so off we went. It was rainy and cold & seeing all the other happy calfs cuddled up close to their mamas and this one all by itself, cold, dirty and wet made me tear right up. After feeding the little one we started to drive off and he ran after us...  ugh, gut wrenching. Anyway - this wasn't supposed to be a sad story, just a very small Wyoming experience.
My spirits were lifted when I got to hold his new little Chicks. Look at this lady, sporting the diva pose!

The photos were taken on the iphone, so my apologies for the poor quality!

5 comments:

Beck said...

Again I cried!

Brandi {not your average ordinary} said...

Knowing me, that calf would probably have a place to sleep at the foot of my bed. I'm glad he's being taken care of.

phartnett said...

great but sad story love the chicks!

Resi Stiegler said...

I loooovvvveeee this post! Makes me miss home! Ill see you in a few weeks lady! Better be summer by the time I get there! ha ha xxxxx

Anna of IHOD said...

Oh my goodness how precious! That is what I love about spring...new life is everywhere!